10: Campus tour…I remember everything from the list T gave me except pointing out to new students the “safety room” in PDR. What’s a “safety room”?
- “[We, as writers, sometimes think] Somehow someone’s success takes away from your own. The antidote is to fall in love with the work of someone else. By some magical process your own work improves and envy goes away.”
- Students from 18 different states
- “Keep an open mind. We all approach our work in different ways.”
- “Positive criticism. Not tearing someone down. It’s all about making that poem the best it can be. “
- “We are here because we are hopelessly intelligent…When you reach the point between intelligent response and kindness, choose kindness and intelligence will follow. “
- “I hope that you all want to be seen…don’t expect to get discovered. Even if you meet agents and editors.”
- Program highlights: Dennis Lehane, Jacki Woodson, Lee Hope…Student Readings.
T The rest of the afternoon to evening...
Stay tuned for Day 2 tomorrow...